Art Challenge #5: Unrequited Love

February 14th, 2009 · 26 Comments

Ahoy Mates, Wenches -and especially you Fools with your Money,

We present to you a gallery dedicated to “Unrequited Love”.  There is no worse fate that can befall the heart than to love, to desire and be denied!  Demons of the seas are upon the soul who suffers this malady and the pains of hell nary more deliberate.

So beware to the timid! This is a gallery of pain and tears and the nightmare to want in vain.  Walk carefully amongst the finest artist that dared to take up this challenge. Their souls know the anguish to well. And it is these ARTIST, reckless of heart,  that present to you Unrequited Love” and the Fifth Gallery of The Artist Challenge.

If you wish to purchase or beg for one of these masterworks, contact the artist directly. Their link is there.  They’ll respond.

Fair sailing now,

Captain Mike and The Pub Wench

Signs from the Body

My shoulders
Bear the weight of my heart.
They tighten and scream with my tensions.
Sometimes I want to live without people,
For the sadness of rejection is too much …
Why should I put myself
In the way of this melancholy?
Betrayal.
Dare to trust?
Should I dare it?
Trust is a comfort which,
When misused,
Leaves open the path to disintegration
Of the spirit.
Do any benefits warrant
The risk?
Do I dare again?
At this moment … NO!
Solitude seems safe and manageable.
But can we betray even ourselves?

© June Saville

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: Art Challenges ·

• 1 Cayenne // Feb 14, 2009 at 3:47 am

Holy hell, people. Wandering through these was as close to a religious experience as I’ve had in 30 years.

I’m kind of speechless, which is huge, because I tend to blather.

There’s such a rich diversity of style, yet something uniquely dark (and darkly human) communicated so effectively in remarkably different images…revealing different paths that inspired similar emotions, yet completely dissimilar manifestations of the same emotion…put through these weird cerebral filters of our brains.

Seriously.

Amazing work by all…

• 2 Audrey Bunt // Feb 14, 2009 at 6:49 am

WAY-TO-GO everyone. This is a fantastic collection.
    Congratulations to Mike, and Vikki for putting it all together. Proud to be part of it.

• 3 Asil // Feb 14, 2009 at 10:21 am

Bravo! The essence has been captured!

• 4 Eric S. // Feb 14, 2009 at 12:02 pm

Wow, Vikki ERR Pub Wench, These are some amazing works. The interpretations are so varied and full of emotion. I’m in awe of the talent presented here. I do have a few favorites.

“Love Not Returned” speaks volumes to me, lending to visions of sorrow, longing, and deep heart pain.

“Bleeding Heart” Has a wonderful quality in the sorrowful lonely face, withing a cage or protection of the tree. I could spin a story with this visions created in my head on this one.

“Private Tears”, is SO moving to me. The fact that unrequited love is a private torment most times, goes unnoticed by may. This one shows me the feeling, resultant to offerings refused.

“Loving Kathy” Has a unique vision, and speaks of fleeting thoughts and dreams.

“Unrequited Love Candle”, Wonderful that an inanimate object can project such understanding of sorrow and pain.

“Tranquility- in the face of love”, The depth of emotion shown in that stoic face, wow amazing. The eyes are what grabbed me first off.

“Empty Promises”, Such a sad impression. The tumbled flowers, against a bottle of wine, set’s the mood so well, and say so much.

“Face of Unrequited Love 01”, Michael’s faces always amaze me, the detail and definition are amazing. Here the eyes speak to me again, but what stands out to me is the posture of the facial expression. That in it self speaks volumes.

“Cupid’s Requiem”, Ahh the broken and shattered remnants of Cupids tools, strewn about and left wanting. You have the ability to capture so much feeling in your work, and give life to such unusual objects.

“Play of Light”, Now here is one that says it all. The sadness in the face, hung at an angle that shows unsatisfied desire. The posture of the body, speaks to me of defeat of the heart.

“Unrequited Love”, the pearls, color and the heart shaped box loaded with pictures that hold significant meaning, wow.

How are you ever to pick a winner, is there one? If you ask me, I say there is, it’s the common one such as I who is able to view such wonderment in one place. Your patrons are the winners, great job everyone.

• 5 The Pub Wench // Feb 14, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Hey Eric-
    I agree. I was just blown away seeing all the images as they trailed in one by one. They’re really outstanding.
    Michael and I are really thrilled with this first show. The artist ALL need to be highly commended for their beautiful works. They are the ones that made this happen.

• 6 MDE Art Blog // Feb 14, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Agreed! There is so much fantastic work and effort here. And I hope at least a little bit of a personal challenge for the artists, and maybe a little growth? 🙂

Thank you to everyone who submitted their artwork!

• 7 Sarah // Feb 14, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Wow! Going back to gazing in awe…….

• 8 Heather // Feb 14, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Amazing collection, thank you to our hard working Wench and Michael for making it all happen. It looks fantastic and I’ve only been able to go through them all once…need more time! Thanks for inviting me into this great group. 🙂

• 9 Bee // Feb 14, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Very impressive!

• 10 June Saville // Feb 14, 2009 at 6:35 pm

I am so proud of you and Mike and all of the contributors for demonstrating their skill, and their trust in your project. WOW.
    If this is the begninning, what will be the maturity of this great site?

• 11 Lauren // Feb 14, 2009 at 6:48 pm

Lots of fun perusing everyone’s efforts. Enjoyed it!

• 12 The Pub Wench // Feb 14, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Thank you everyone, for all your comments and your amazing work.

I agree. I think this first gallery is absolutely gorgeous. I can assure you the excitement to make it happen and support we received went far beyond our wildest dreams. In a matter of 3 weeks- by some stroke of just shear magic- we managed to have some of the best online artist and craftsman grace our doorway and allow us to show their work in this gallery.

I also hope you noticed the little poem, Signs from the Body, just above the comments. It written by June Saville who is just an outstanding Australian author. We were just blessed that she allowed us to use it for the Challenge.

But again, I must say-the applause praise goes to the you. and I know I can speak for Capt Mike here:

Ahoy Sailors and Wenches,
    We are very humbled and honored to be in your fair company.

N O W- on to The FOOOOOOL! That’s going to be fun, huh?

The Pub Wench/ Vikki

• 13 Dina Kerik // Feb 15, 2009 at 1:30 am

Did this really happen spontaneously? You realize. This is miraculous, don’t you?

Dina

• 14 Asil // Feb 15, 2009 at 8:35 am

I really love the unique concept of this site and all the writings that go along with the art. I’m proud to be part of it 🙂

Lisa

• 15 Paul Pinson // Feb 15, 2009 at 8:38 am

Thank you to receive me in your cenacle.
    At the pleasure to read you and see all this good work, Bravo
    Paul

• 16 The Pub Wench // Feb 15, 2009 at 11:35 am

Bonjour Paul,
    Nous sommes si heureux que vous nous avez joints. Vous êtes le travail est merveilleux et si plein de vie et d’amusement. Vous êtes juste l’épice le Défi d’Artiste a eu besoin de.

And Asil-
    Thank you. Michael and I really loved the process and knew other artist would enjoy it also. That’s how it came about.
    We’re really happy you joined us.

Ms. Dina,
    Well -Michael and I bounced the idea off each other for months- but in answer to your question, yes- most definitely something magical, dare I say paranormal, seemed to be involved. In fact we mused about that numerous times.

When it was just Michael and I doing our blog challenges together, we found it so invigorating to our artist psyche. We just couldn‘t stop! It’s was if the Artist Challenge took on a life of it’s – long before we created a vessel for it.

I really think artist need other artist. There is no one that can stimulate our creativity – like another artist. We do speak a language of our own.

• 17 tashabud // Feb 16, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Hello Artists,
    I enjoyed viewing your art work. It’s amazing that there are no duplications. Each one of you have your unique way of defining, illustrating, and interpreting the same topic. Some are portrayed boldly and some, subtly. Each of your work had provoked me in different ways. You made me smile, drop my jaws, feel sad, feel the pain, and most of all, you made me admire each one of you for taking on this challenge and gave it your best.

I can’t wait to see your works in the next art challenge.

Congratulations, Vikki and Michael, for putting together a successful art challenge.

Way to go!
    Tasha

• 18 The Pub Wench // Feb 16, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Ahoy Tashabud our favorite patron of the Arts and romance writer,

Thank you sweetheart.

• 19 Candle Artist Jfay // Feb 16, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Wow! I’m speechless — Such beauty from sadness. I am so amazed by all of the wonderful works. Thank you all again for allowing my wax artwork to be included. I am truly honored.

• 20 sandyz // Feb 16, 2009 at 9:00 pm

These are all fantastic, each one so different. I like them all!

• 21 The Red Chair Artist // Feb 16, 2009 at 9:27 pm

Thanks Sandy and Welcome. Major fun to these challenges.

• 22 Karin // Feb 17, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Truly wonderful work everyone! I’ve come and visited several times now, in order to take everyone’s pieces in fully. As many before me have stated – the diversity and range of interpretation and execution is inspiring!! I’m looking forward to the next round 🙂
    Karin

• 23 Karin // Feb 17, 2009 at 12:08 pm

I forgot to add – the poem by June is amazing. I could relate to it so well – I just got through telling someone I have “human fatigue” – a version of battle fatigue in relation to interacting with my fellow beings… her poem says it perfectly!

• 24 The Pub Wench // Feb 17, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Hi Karin,
    Thank you so much. Your going to loving the challenges. The next one is ‘the Fool’ due just before April Fools day. I hope you’re considering participating. It’s great fun.

• 25 Terri // Feb 20, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Fabulous work- I am so impressed! I am trying for the fool…all I have to do is look in the mirror!

• 26 The Pub Wench // Feb 20, 2009 at 7:32 pm

Thanks for your comment Terri.

Your to funny. I think we could all do a self portrait for ‘the fool. ‘ I’m refraining from that, though.