Art Challenge #6: The Fool

March 21st, 2009 · 15 Comments

Ahoy Mates, Wenches -and especially you Fools with your Money,
The finest of artists present for your behest our March theme- “The Fool”

“They said he was a fool, a simpleton and buffoon.
He trifled in mirth and toyed in idle sport and swoon.

He was silly, stupid and wasted time with worthless play,
The brunt of jokes, he was easily deceived in a shameful and mortifying way.

But it is this fool I must defend.
You see, for me he was my friend.”

The Fool

A fool I have been called.
I dream too often, of foolish things.
I follow my foolish heart.
Foolishly I pull for the underdog.

A fool, have I been compared too.
I strive for my foolish dreams
I give my foolish heart anything.
I follow honor instead of greed.

A fool, proudly I am.
Those dreams have given me direction
That heart has been my happiness.
My prosperity is my pride, not any currency.

© Eric Schweer

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: Art Challenges ·

• 1 The Fool | Abstract Face | Art Challenge #6 // Mar 21, 2009 at 11:23 pm

[…] Art Challenge #6: “The Fool” gallery is now premiering at The Artist Challenge. My contribution is a colorful abstract drawing of a face that represents some of the emotions behind feeling foolish. Drawn on an 11″ x 14″ piece of paper, layers of expression were built up over time with pens, markers, and paint pens. […]

• 2 MDE Art Blog // Mar 21, 2009 at 11:37 pm

Amazing gallery, foolishness galore! Thank you artists, for sharing your extraordinary talents and perspectives! 🙂

~Captain Mike

• 3 June Saville // Mar 21, 2009 at 11:47 pm

This display is truly humbling! What a delight you have begun Vikki and Michael. You’re like honey to ants when it comes to gathering talent.
    Michael, your multi-layered fool video is wondrous, and Vikki, as usual depicts life with such clarity. I love your little class fool who, along with so many tiny fellows, doesn’t fully realise why we are laughing at him.
    June in Oz
    All entries mandate careful viewing and thought.
    Well done!

• 4 Vikki // Mar 22, 2009 at 12:22 am

Hi Everyone,
    Thanks you for this wonderful gallery. You know, Michael and I just loved doing this Challenges even when it was just the two of us . Then Martha joined us and we thought, “Hey- lets invite more people to this party!”

Never in our wildest dreams did we realize the level of talent that would come under our roof. Please know we are awed, grateful and humbled by all of you and your amazing talent and artwork.

Vikki aka the Pub Wench

• 5 Sharron Marshall // Mar 22, 2009 at 11:21 am

How fantastic this is!!! I’m in awe, what a wonderful display of talent!! I’m in the midst of a move, couldn’t participate, but had to stop by and see what you all had done for this challenge. I love the diversity within the concept. Bravo to all the ” Mates and Wenches”

• 6 Heather // Mar 22, 2009 at 9:45 pm

This months works…well, they rock! I couldn’t join this month because of eye problems, (it is very foolish to try and paint while blind, at least for me anyway) and am now sorry I didn’t get to play too! You guys knocked this one out of the park, I hope every single artist finds new patrons. True that. Great work everyone!

• 7 Candle Artist Jfay // Mar 22, 2009 at 9:54 pm

AWESOME! AWESOME! To say the least! Such beautiful works. This is all just too much fun and exciting! I’m looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with for the challenges ahead and am honored to be among such a talented group.

• 8 Marian Fannon Christian // Mar 23, 2009 at 3:17 am

Just want to say how BEAUTIFUL the new gallery looks. Everyone has done themselves and the challenge proud! I love the collective colours , the variety of media and the different interpretations of the Fool is impressive. We love being a part of this.
    Fanny and Anthony

• 9 Lisa aka ASIL // Mar 23, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Jaw dropping gorgeous!!! Love the new gallery. The pressure is on now to keep up with so much talent. I’m very pleased to have been able to contribute to this months theme. I have a soft sport for fools. Even my name sais it… Lisa backwards is Asil and in french Asile (pronounced the same as asil) is asylum!!! So I just had to let the fool in me come out and play!!!

• 10 Lisa aka ASIL // Mar 23, 2009 at 7:22 pm

oops.. not soft “sport” but rather soft spot LOL

PS loved the video Michael

• 11 Vikki // Mar 23, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Hi Lisa,
    You’re so cute. I never realized you’d just reversed the letters in your name. We’re really happy your with us also.

• 12 Sarah // Mar 23, 2009 at 10:08 pm

Wow! A wonderous feast for the senses…

• 13 sandyz // Mar 23, 2009 at 11:57 pm

Wow, fantastic foolishness here and such varied interpretations… Every one is so unique.

Okay, I’m going to have to get over my insecurities and join in on the next one. …(maybe)…hehe.

What fun to see what you all did.

• 14 tashabud // Mar 24, 2009 at 11:36 am

Hello Artists,
    I enjoyed gazing at each entry. I don’t like to critique individual piece because I’m not an art expert. All I know is that I’m awed by each one. I could not come up with one way to illustrate the subject, yet here are 19 entries that have very unique interpretations. And nothing is duplicated just like it was in the #5 Artists Challenge.

Even though I’m just a viewer, I was so excited for the day to arrive. I’ve come to view your gallery a couple of times already. I jsut didn’t have the time to comment until now.

Congratulations to all of you. I’ll be looking forward to the next challenge.

Tasha

• 15 Vikki // Mar 24, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Thanks Tashabud-
    I agree that the talent is astounding. and I’m so happy you come to look at all.

And please don’t worry about speaking ‘art savvy’ lingo. I can absolutely assure you that every artist you see here would be delighted to hear from you…no matter how you say it.