Vikki North

Location: USA
Title: Tom Foolery
Size: 16″ x 20″
Medium: Acrylic on Un-stretched Canvas Panel
Website: http://www.theredchairgallery.com

From the Artist:
A simple matter of feeling foolish.

Tags: ·

• 1 Dina Kerik // Mar 21, 2009 at 11:18 pm

Oh, Vikki! Bless his heart! I have felt like this many times and it’s a burn that starts deep inside and migrates until your skin tingles with it.

I would put him under my coat if I were there so noone could look at him that way!
    Q

• 2 Sonya Meglaurel // Mar 21, 2009 at 11:22 pm

ah….see I see a youngun who thought he got away with it! and at the last minute-

perfect title and the pose says it all Wonderful work Vicki you and your little jokester got it! lip pout and all.

• 3 Vikki // Mar 21, 2009 at 11:28 pm

Thanks ladies- my quest was to show the emotion of feeling foolish without props – just physical jesture.

• 4 June Saville // Mar 22, 2009 at 12:11 am

Yes, you’ve done it again Vikki. He’s feeling michievous, revealed, uncertain, recognised, frightened, victorious and very young.
    June in Oz

• 5 Sonya Meglaurel // Mar 22, 2009 at 10:45 am

Had to come back to this this morning. Often one of my own (Gchildrens) stands before their parent with the sheepish downcast look that yours has. With the accent on the hands in the pocket and splayed shorts a smile crosses my lips as reflect on his pout. What goes through their minds; uncomplicated, spontaneous, just where they are in the moment. Wonder too, how would his excitement, awe, questionable pose be? This child would make a beautiful series. The faces of childhood. A time in life that teeters back and forth between childlike innocence to all about illusion learned while growing up in today’s society. You have both personalized him with the theme and made him “known to the viewer” again-a stroke in time fair lady. What a statement.

• 6 Vikki // Mar 22, 2009 at 11:07 am

Hi June,
    He’s a cutie and representative of every kid. A part of growing up.

• 7 Vikki // Mar 22, 2009 at 11:19 am

Hi Sonya,
    Thank you so much. That was my hope: show this human condition in expression and posture. Children are so blatant with their emotions – it’s easier to take them over top and not look exaggerated. (I don’t know how many times I saw my own son stand in front of me looking like that.)

As adults we become so accomplished in hiding what we’re feeling. I’ve often thought we’d all be better off if we could just show what we’re feeling like this little guy.

• 8 Martha Marshall // Mar 22, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Vikki, this is portrayed with such delicacy and sensitivity, just like the child’s emotions. I responded the same way Dina did. I want to pick him up and rock him. We have all felt the way he does when other kids have laughed at us or we did something that embarrassed us.

• 9 Marian Fannon Christian // Mar 23, 2009 at 3:28 am

Beautiful and so expressive Vikki. Makes me want to hug him!

• 10 MDE Art Blog // Mar 24, 2009 at 1:20 pm

As usual, I am amazed at your skills! Combining a honed intuition for expressing the emotions and artistic prowess to visualize all the details. Your artwork is clear and glowing! 🙂